Instead of letting Uncle Bill talk incessantly about football during Thanksgiving this holiday, ask everyone to participate in a little trivia discussion. You can gather more information and create more questions at wikipedia.org.
1. Who celebrated the first recorded Thanksgiving ceremony in 1565?
a. Spaniard settlers
b. British settlers
c. French settlers
d. Canadian settlers
2. Thanksgiving day was originally set aside as a day for______:
a. Plentiful food and drink
b. Celebrating the end of harvest
c. Prayer and fasting
d. Rest and relaxation
3. The First National Proclamation of Thanksgiving was given by the Continental Congress in what year?
4. Which United States President proclaimed a national Thanksgiving holiday to occur on the last Thursday of each November?
a. George Washington
b. John Adams
c. Franklin Roosevelt
d. Abraham Lincoln
5. Turkey has been the staple menu item since the inception of Thanksgiving?
Answers: 1.a., 2.c., 3.c., 4.d., 5.a.
It's a fun way to get everyone involved and to get Uncle Bill to talk about something other than the game. Have a great Thanksgiving!