Opening a bottle of bubbly doesn't need to be scary, require protective eye wear, or brute strength... use these this method to open your New Year's cheer safely...
1. Hold the bottle facing away from you and others at a 45 degree angle.
2. Remove the foil and remove the wire cage (5 or 6 twists should do it). Keep your thumb on top of the cork to prevent it from prematurely releasing.
3. Place a dishtowel or cloth napkin over top. With your dominant hand, grip the bottom of the bottle and gently twist while keeping the cork still with your other hand.
4. The pressure of the bottle should begin to push the cork out. You should start hearing a hissing sound as the air sneaks out of the bottle.
5. Continue to twist bottle, slowly easing out the cork. Be sure to have a glass handy.
6. Pour and enjoy!
Have a great New Year!